Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Wal-Mart Articles

I’m going to change up from my usual topics a little, let’s expand our horizons. I’ve got a couple of links to articles that I think everyone should read. The first one, the Fast Company article, is pretty long, but an interesting article. The second is shorter, but still interesting. They are both a little old, but that doesn’t diminish their meaning.

The articles are written about Wal-Mart and the pressures that they put on suppliers and the economy. This is not any attempt to persuade, influence, or even give my opinion on Wal-Mart and their business practices. As an entrepreneur and a business coach, I feel it is important that we think outside the box – seeing things for what they are, rather than just from a single perspective. I, probably like most, used to look at Wal-Mart from a consumer’s angle…………low prices, everybody wins. Now I try to educate myself on both sides of every coin. For every nickel saved here, there’s a potential nickel lost there. We see those types of examples every day, the proverbial ‘swinging of the pendulum’.

I guess my intrigue with Wal-Mart in particular stems from a growing understanding of our economy, and the potential effects a company the size of Wal-Mart could have.

Again, I’m neither lobbying for or against Wal-Mart. Form your own opinion with whatever information is available. My intention is that we learn to look past the glow of the smiley faces and flashing signs we are bombarded with daily, and start to understand the economics behind it all.


http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

http://www.commondreams.org/scriptfiles/views03/1208-08.htm

Nick Berry
Nick Berry Round Headshot

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home